Sunday, February 5, 2012

Small town, big hearts

Happy Super Bowl Sunday everyone!


I had a nice 3 day long weekend luckily so I went home Thursday night for my aunt's birthday. When I was in high school my mom sadly passed away and ever since then my aunt has been like a mom to me. She has a favorite cake that a local bakery makes so I attempted to order her one but I was so sad to find they had closed. However, with a little help from Google I found the owner had opened a new bakery and sold the same cakes! I got her a wonderful Bailey's Irish Cream Crunch cake and she was thrilled! It was so beautiful, I wish I had of gotten a picture but it completely slipped my mind!


My hometown is a small Southern town and has so much pride in its history. Ever since I can remember there has been a monument of a Civil War soldier in the downtown area. Last spring a "sleeping" driver hit the monument and knocked the head off the soldier. Of course we all assumed the monument would be rebuilt but quite a few opposing people popped up saying the monument was offense to their ancestors who could have been slaves and created such a fuss. Because of this the city decided against rebuilding the monument. So many people have fought to bring the monument back, being that it itself is a part of the town's history - it has been standing for over a 100 years! A big history enthusiast has taken time out of his life to frequently stand in the traffic circle the monument used to stand in. Some may say this is rude to the people who opposed the monument being rebuilt, but I think it is a breathe of fresh air to see someone taking a real stand for what they believe it. He was out in the traffic circle while I was home and took a picture with my iPhone and edited it using the Instagram app and it turned out so well I just had to share it with you guys!




While I absolutely loved my trip home & getting to spend time with family (and all the food!), I was shocked with some horrible news Saturday morning. A family in the community's house was broken into injuring the daughter who too was home from college for the weekend and killing both the mother and father. I just honestly could not believe it was real. Things like that never happen in our little town. We are such a close community and these people are such well known and loved people. It saddens me to think that someone could be that cruel and heartless. It really makes you think how fragile life is and there really is no such thing as telling someone you love them too much. You never know what could happen in the future. Please keep the French family in your prayers, they really need it right now.


On a lighter subject -- I posted a few weeks ago about the seersucker monogrammed koozie I found on Etsy and I finally ordered mine and received it and I am in L-O-V-E. Lauren at LAS1020 did an amazing job!
Is it not fabulous?? If you haven't yet, I suggest make the investment! It is worth the 11 (including shipping -- definitely a steal!)


I'm off to make some fun dishes for Super bowl! I am really excited about the jalapeno popper dip I am trying. I will post and let you guys know how it goes!  I hope you all have a wonderful Super bowl and lots of yummy snacks!


Xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with us! I hope you had an incredible time with your aunt, and I totally agree with you about that sweet gentleman supporting what he believes in.

    Allyson
    http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

    p.s. that koozie is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your jalapeno popper dip turned out WONDERFULLY!! It is always so sad to hear about tragedies in the community, thank you for sharing. I will be praying for the French family!
    -Bo

    ReplyDelete